Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Water Music

The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra has invited several local and national artists and celebrities to decorate a violin with a musically inspired painting.  These violins will be auctioned off on November 12 with all proceeds benefiting the FWSO's Adventures in Music program for children of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.  A worthy cause!  Here's my submission:

"WATER MUSIC"

While not directly inspired by Handel's Water Music -- although it is one of my favorites -- the title of his Orchestral Suite gave me the idea and inspiration for my painted violin.  As a young boy learning to read music and taking piano lessons, I always liked the design of the clef symbols and used to practice drawing them over and over again (especially the G-clef).  I thought it might be amusing to see these musical symbols incorporated in the designs of schools of tropical fish as they swim gracefully together in a slow movement through the coral reefs off Key Largo.  They entertain us and captivate us with their beauty, harmony, patterns and rhythm.  That sounds a lot like music to me.








1 comment: