Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Handmade Watercolor Palette


Recently I received this package in the mail.  




It was my long-awaited IBA-CO hand-made solid brass watercolor palette.  Watercolor painters will appreciate the joy such a small package can give.  This 4" x 6" x 1" palette is a thing of beauty and function. 



On the back is a thumb ring for easy holding in the palm of your hand.



It folds out and has plenty of space for mixing paint.



I immediately put it to use painting a brahma cow I saw at the Fort Worth Stock Show.




"Mama Brahma"   10" x 14"   Watercolor





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting. Thanks for introducing me to IBA-CO. Can you say something about how you use the natural sponge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. I use the natural sponge for wiping out areas of the painting that need correcting. It's gentle on the paper.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reply, James. I've seen some painters use the sponge to create texture in certain passages but nothing in this painting or in the other watercolors you've posted seemed to use that method -- which was why I was curious. I very much admire all the work you've shared with us but particularly enjoy your watercolors.

    ReplyDelete