Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Hunting Art Prize


A couple of months ago my daughter Lauren and I took a road trip to Houston to attend the Hunting Art Prize Gala.  We had a great time as we attended this lavish annual event hosted by the international oil services company Hunting PLC.  There were 115 artists accepted as finalists in this year's competition - a contest that is open to Texas artists and has one of the most generous awards of any North American art competition.  One lucky artist takes home the grand prize of $50,000!




My entry in the show depicts a pub in downtown Fort Worth in early morning light.  


"The Flying Saucer"  36" x 27"   Oil


Below are my influences for this painting, by two artists whom I greatly admire.


Edward Hopper

  "Early Sunday Morning"  35" x 60" 


Johannes Vermeer

"The Little Street"   21" x 17"


Well, I didn't come away with the big prize but I met many fine Texas artists and my daughter and I enjoyed the adventure.

You can see the grand prize winner here.



No comments:

Post a Comment