Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Oil Versus Watercolor (Lamppost)

I sometimes get the urge to paint the same subject in both oils and watercolors.  Each medium has its strengths and challenges and I find it refreshing (and sometimes frustrating) to switch back and forth between the two.  The subject here is a street light in Portugal - the country where I grew up and for which I still have great fondness.

OIL

"Lamppost - Southern Portugal"   16" x 20"   

WATERCOLOR

"Lamppost - Southern Portugal"   14" x 19"   


I did these smaller versions before beginning the larger paintings above.  (I got to know this lamppost quite well!)

OIL

"Study for Lamppost"   12" x 9"   

WATERCOLOR

"Study for Lamppost"   14" x 10"

1 comment:

  1. Very nice work James, It's good to see you are still painting doors and windows. I remember you were doing this years ago.

    ReplyDelete