Friday, October 26, 2012

On And Off Again

I was never entirely pleased with the way I had painted the foreground in this painting.  So I had what I thought was the bright idea to turn on the lamp.


But when I did that the artificial light seemed to compete with the natural light beyond the archway - my eye kept jumping back and forth from the outdoor light to the inside light.


So I turned the light back off.  What remained was the warmer, richer- colored interior which I feel works better now.  As one of my teachers used to say, "A painting is a series of adjustments."

"Sundance Courtyard"   18" x 12"   Oil


1 comment:

  1. How neat is that! - the ability to turn the light on and then off again? But I think you are absolutely right about the competition between the light being "on" and the bright sunlit background. I like this painting just the way it is. Warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete