Monday, July 2, 2012

I Stumbled Upon Some Munnings

I was recently in Richmond, Virginia for a commissioned portrait sitting.  A couple of years ago I painted Oliver and now I have the pleasure of painting his younger sister.  Here's the portrait of Oliver hanging in his home.


"Oliver"   40" x 27"   Oil

While I was in Richmond I had a little extra time and visited the Virginia Museum of Fine Art.  What a great museum!  I was delighted to find these paintings by Sir Alfred Munnings, my favorite painter of horses and an artist I greatly admire for his draftsmanship, color and paint handling.  It's a rare treat to see his work here in America as most of it is in the U.K. and largely in private collections.  What a pleasure to stumble upon some Munnings!


(detail)


(detail)


2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS, James. Absolutely fantastic portrait. And yes, I like the Munnings too, but he's dead. Back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dan. That means a lot to me coming from you!

    ReplyDelete