Monday, May 14, 2012

St. Ignatius Academy Building - In Progress

I've begun a painting of the St. Ignatius Academy building in downtown Fort Worth.  This unique structure of the French Second Empire style was completed in 1889 and was originally used as a boarding school for young ladies.  Ever since moving to Fort Worth it has fascinated me as I walk by it - particularly in the late afternoon/evening light.  



"St. Ignatius Academy - Late Afternoon" (in progress)   24" x 30"   Oil

I've decided to simplify the background.  Here's a photo of it's actual surroundings.



I'm a big fan of Edward Hopper's paintings of architecture - one of my favorites being his "House by the Railroad".  I suppose it was in the back of my mind when I got the urge to paint this.  Here's Hopper's painting.

Edward Hopper's "House by the Railroad" (1925)   24"x29"   Oil    











No comments:

Post a Comment