Monday, October 31, 2011

The Start



I've just begun an oil painting of the Amon Carter Museum from bird's eye view, referring to the watercolor from my sketchbook as I transfer the composition to canvas.  I decided to place the foreground hawk higher in the sky for a more pleasing composition and to give more of a feeling of soaring high above the museum.  The story behind this painting can be found here.

"Cultural District Red Tailed Hawks"   10" x 8"   Watercolor

Before beginning a large oil painting, I usually take a few minutes to do a small study in oils.  This 5" x 7" sketch serves as a guide and gives me a good idea of the color and general feeling I'm after in the larger work.





1 comment:

  1. Just read the very interesting story behind your painting. These spectacular hawks - soaking up a bit of culture as they soar above the Amon Carter Museum - are certainly wonderful subjects. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

    ReplyDelete