Friday, June 17, 2011

Tubes and More Tubes




These are just some of the tubes of paint I've used up this year working on my "Year in Fort Worth" paintings.  I buy large tubes whenever possible because they're more economical and also they encourage me to be generous with the amount of paint I put on a canvas.  John Singer Sargent said, "the thicker the paint, the more the color flows".  John Carlson, another great artist, used to say that if you didn't have the money to buy paints, then paint only once a week - but paint like a millionaire! 

Sometimes it feels like you need to be a millionaire to afford quality oils and watercolors!  I use a tube-wringer to squeeze out every last drop of paint from the tube.  And then I go back and buy some more.


Tubes of paint at Asel Art Supply


No comments:

Post a Comment